Results Round-Up - 18.11.17

1 year ago By Simon Harrison

We go over the day's results in and around the Manchester Football League...

Wythenshawe Amateurs bounced back from their defeat last time out and took advantage of Avro’s county cup involvement by thumping AFC Monton in a remarkable 10-1 away win to go top of the Premier Division table, albeit having played four games more.

David Wright found the net six times, Matthew Dodwell a modest twice, plus Danny Egan and Carl Brady sealed the emphatic victory for the hosts.

Hindsford fired themselves into fifth spot with a 4-0 home victory over Old Altrinchamians, Ryan Briody netting twice with a Ben Chambers goal and a Ben Meredith penalty sealing a convincing win.

An own goal and a Ryan Fagan strike were enough to nail down a derby day victory for Springhead at Royton Town, the three points opening up a four-point gap between the teams.

Rochdale Sacred Heart saw their colours lowered again as they hosted a hungry Manchester Gregorians side, looking for points to edge themselves away from the basement, and they achieved this with a 2-1 victory.

Jamie Sinnott smashed home four goals as leaders Beechfield United despatched second place Chapel Town with an imperious 6-0 triumph, Jordan Jones-Waite grabbing Beechy’s other two goals, the Salford side now lead the division by six points.

Hollinwood won the only other Division One game to be played, edging past hosts Wilmslow Albion 1-0 at Oakwood Farm.

Irlam Steel dinted the recent charge up the table by home side Heywood St James with a surprise 2-1 win, the Steelmen climbing above Atherton LR Development in the table.

Atherton Town Res pegged back runaway leaders Rochdale Sacred Heart Res with a 3-0 win, Hearts’ first dropped points of the season. The win puts Town within 6 points of top spot with a game in hand.

Hollyhedge Park saw the day’s only other Division Three tie as Wythenshawe Amateurs Res entertained Springhead. The home side ran out comfortable 7-0 winners and move up to fifth with the three points, leapfrogging ‘Head in the process.

Elton Vale Res stretched their lead at the top of the table thanks to a good 2-0 victory at home to AFC Monton. The gap is now three points after Rochdale Sacred Heart A could only manage a 1-1 draw at bottom side Old Alts Res.

Third-placed Bolton County Res couldn’t capitalise on RSH’s slip-up as they could only pick up a point in their eight-goal thriller with Pennington Res. Danny Hill notched a couple of goals to add to Levi Moncado’s effort for County.

It’s getting tight in Division Five with four points separating the top six places.

After taking top spot last weekend, Bolton Lads & Girls Club Res failed to extend their lead this weekend as they were beaten 5-3 by Uppermill Res. A brace from Josh Barlow plus goals from Alex Peters, Stuart Chamley and Dylan Fitzgerald win moves the visitors up to third and are now within touching distance of the leaders.

Sitting in fourth place, Chadderton EDS are one of four teams in the chasing pack on 13 points after their narrow 3-2 win at home to Heywood St James Res. Alireza Farhadi continued his good form in front of goal by hitting another brace, plus Faruq Tiamiyu’s strike, to earn Chaddy the win.

In Group A, Boothstown belied their slow start to the campaign with an eye-catching 4-1 win over a Tintwistle Athletic that have been flying high in the league, Chris Rathburn with Tinny’s consolation.

Altrincham Hale made light work of a division’s difference between the teams as they defeated Elton Vale 2-1 and ensure they stay top of Group B and in the box seat to progress to the knock-out stages. Goals from Liam Paterson and Ben Pyle earned Hale the three points.

In the same Group, Pennington edged out Govan Athletic in a tight-run five-goal tie, Ross Farrington scoring on his 100th appearance with Daryl Unsworth and Alex Seddon adding the rest for the home side who kept alive their chances of progressing with this win.

Group D saw Leigh Athletic held to a 3-3 draw at home to leaders Bolton Lads & Girls Club with both teams in the driving seat for qualification. Robert Entwistle, Keeran Parker and Matt Babilinksi all netted for the Latics at Leigh Sports Village.

Group A’s only game saw Walshaw Sports Res pick up their first point of the campaign after drawing 1-1 with Stockport Georgians Res.

Hindsford Res went top of Group B with a decent 2-1 win away at Manchester Gregorians Res. Aaron Booth and Calam Williamson got The Tonics’ goals to take their side up and above Avro who drop down to second place after their 2-0 defeat at Dukinfield Town.

The only game in Group A saw Atherton Town A finish their campaign with a 3-1 win at home to Altrincham Hale Res. The result leaves Town just short of qualification as it does for Hale, which means Uppermill Res and East Manchester are left to battle it out for top spot.

Leigh Athletic Res remain top of Group B despite losing their first game of the competition. The Latics fell to a 4-2 defeat away to Hollinwood Res who got off the mark in their second cup tie and are still in with a chance of qualifying to the knockout stages, James Dooley with both goals for Leigh.

Breightmet United Res remain bottom and are still to get off the mark, their latest defeat coming against Govan Athletic Res, going down 2-1 at Platt Lane.

Group D’s solitary fixture saw Tintwistle Athletic Res host Boothstown Res at West Drive. The visitors came away with the three points thanks to Kieron Morris and Matthew Whittaker goals, giving them hope of finishing in the top while denying Athletic a route to the quarter finals in the process.

There will be a familiar ring to the Final of this competition as Avro and East Manchester secured their places in the showpiece.

East Manchester and Curzon Ashton Development could not be separated after ninety minutes, sharing four goals, Kyle McGovern and Matthew Roberts netting for East, and it was the hosts who held their nerve to win 4-1 on penalties and progress to the final and get the chance to defend their crown.

It was an all-Manchester League encounter up at Heyside, who had the tricky task of defeating a flying Avro side to reach the Final, but Louis Potts hammered home a hat-trick for the visitors to break home hearts.

Stockport Georgians joined Dukinfield Town in the next round with a phenomenal 3-1 win at West Cheshire League big guns Ashville, Michael Taylor netting a brace of free-kicks and Joe Bevan sealing the win.

Both teams face tricky away Quarter-Final ties, Georgians visit Linotype Cheadle Heath Nomads while Dukinfield go to Middlewich Town.

Where next?

MUST READ - Filming MFL Matches League President John Hyde has his say on Clubs who wish to film their matches.
Results Round-Up - 11.11.17 We take a look at the results on the day we remembered those who have lost their lives for all of us.

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.