Midweek Round-Up - 10.05.18

By Simon Harrison

We take a look at the penultimate round of midweek fixtures of the 2017/18 season.

Premier Division
After playing catch-up for so long, Rochdale Sacred Heart brought their season to a close on Tuesday night when they welcomed Heyside to Fox Park. Anthony Curran scored for the 2016/17 champions but Mark Hopwood’s leveller for Heyside meant both teams were made to settle for a point.

Dukinfield Town’s campaign ended with a 2-1 defeat at Manchester Gregorians, leaving them ninth with a chance they could drop a place should other results go against them.

Stockport Georgians’ penultimate game was at home to Royton Town and thanks to Joe Bevan’s hat-trick, the hosts ran out 3-1 winners. Town have now completed their quota three places off the bottom and could drop one place should Manchester Gregorians win their final game on Saturday.

Division One
Chadderton Reserves clinched the Division One title as they moved onto an unbeatable 46 points following their 2-0 win at Elton Vale, ending their hopes of a top three finish in the process.

Wilmslow Albion gave themselves a fighting chance of survival after picking up a vital point in a 3-3 draw at Boothstown. Jack Cobbett, Kade Culf and Luke Tongue all scored for Boothstown who have the chance to move up three places to sixth should they win both their remaining games.

Division Two
It was goals galore in Division Two as 23 goals were scored in the three games on Tuesday night.

Highest scorers were Uppermill who defeated Atherton LR Development 7-2 at Crilly Park. Josh Barlow and Robert Flynn both scored twice in addition to Greg Burgess, Tom Simpson and Nathan Driscoll goals to seal the three points; Obua Mugalula and Gedeao Varela got LR’s replies.

The bottom two teams clashed at the Recreation Ground as Irlam Steel hosted Hindley Juniors, a tie that produced 8 goals. The spoils were shared as the teams played out a 4-4 draw; Ben Ravenscroft scoring all Irlam’s goals while Kenedy Triumph (2), Tom Jackson and Joe Seargent scored for Hindley.

In the night’s other game, Radcliffe Juniors’ promotion hopes were dashed as they were held to a 3-3 draw by Breightmet United. Gary McShane’s hat-trick helped United salvage a point but the result doesn’t do much for them either.

Division Three
Wythenshawe Amateurs Res travelled to struggling Springhead and piled more misery on the bottom team after winning 3-0. Luke Hibbert, Kyle Murphy and Brad Craw put the Ammies within touching distance of second place.

Division Four
Bolton County Res rounded off their season with a decent 5-1 win at home to AFC Monton Res thanks to Tom Helsby’s hat-trick. Tom Axon-Smith and Kieran Hennessey also got themselves on the scoresheet to overpower Lee Lydiat’s reply for the Ammies.

Premier Division
Springhead claimed the bragging rights following their very impressive 4-1 win at home to local rivals Avro. The champions suffered only their second defeat of the season in their last game on the road before their final home game on Saturday.

Kion Pryce scored twice along with Leighton Stephenson and Toby Ferguson to give the hosts a 4-0 half-time lead before Mike Stockdale claimed a consolation for the champions in the second half.

Division One
Manchester Central sealed second place with a hard-fought 4-2 win at a resurgent Wilmslow Albion thanks to a Cory Knight hat-trick. Josh Frith got the other for Central to finish off a successful season for them, adding to the Murray Trophy success earned last week.

It seems Westbury Sports haven’t given up on their Division One status just yet as their survival chances took a shot in the arm following their 3-2 win against Pennington. The victory means that survival would still be possible should they get six points from their last three games.

Division Three
Rochdale Sacred Heart Res made it 17 wins for the season, the latest coming in the form of an 8-0 scoreline at home to Springhead Res.

Wythenshawe Amateurs Res moved up to second place with their 6-0 win against Hindsford Res. Three more goals for Luke Hibbert along with a Ben Wilde brace plus an own goal secured runners-up spot for the Ammies.

Stockport Georgians Res moved off the bottom with a narrow 1-0 win at home to Manchester Gregorians Res. Michael Rodden’s second half goal proved to be the difference and keep his side’s survival chances alive.

Atherton Town Res completed their away quota with a 2-1 win at Dukinfield Town thanks to Luke Pitchford and Andy Piper goals. The win moves Town up to fourth spot and can secure it with one point from their remaining two games.

Division Five
Uppermill Res ensured the title race went down to the very last game after they edged out Tintwistle Athletic Res in a five-goal thriller. Uppermill are now level on points with leaders Chadderton EDS at the top who have a far superior goal difference.

Chadderton have a home tie against Breightmet United Res while Uppermill are on their travels again as they take on Heywood St James Res.

Where next?

Results Round-Up - 12.05.18 We take a look at the penultimate weekend of the 2017/18 season.
PRESIDENT STATEMENT President John Hyde adds further details to the League statement issued earlier today.

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.