Results Round-Up - 03.02.18

By Simon Harrison

We review the games on the first weekend of February.

Old Alts secured a remarkable 4-1 away win at Royton Town, though they stay bottom, Alts have now closed the gap to one point from Rochdale Sacred Heart. Kerrim Calliste was on target twice with Matt Jamieson and Conor Kingsley adding the others for the Altrincham side.

Beechfield United reinforced their place in pole position for promotion with a thumping 5-0 home win over Wilmslow Albion, Jordan Jones-Waite hit a hat-trick and Kurtis Lee a brace, and now sit eleven points clear of third place with eight games left.

Manchester Central took their shooting boots to Hollinwood as they romped to a 9-2 win, Cory Knight lead with four goals with the rest coming from Elvis Amoakwa, Lamin Baldeh, Mauro Mendes, Paul Riley and Kallum McDonough, and Central sit six points clear of third after this win.

Bolton Lads and Girls Club overtook Altrincham Hale at the top of Division Two with a comprehensive 7-1 over Heywood St James on goal difference, both clubs having twenty-eight points. Sahin Csatios with Heywood’s consolation on an afternoon to forget.

Govan Athletic will consider a 2-2 home draw with Uppermill two points dropped as they aim to get amongst the promotion spots. David Badrock and Nathan Hind scored for the home side with Ben Ford and Tom Gallagher netting for the visitors.

Manchester Gregorians Res made it three league wins in a row with the latest coming at home to Hindsford Res. The 2-1 victory moves them three points behind third place and five clear of fifth.

Rochdale Sacred Heart turned the form book on its head as they knocked Premier Division pacesetters Avro out at the Vestacare Stadium, holding their hosts to a 2-2 draw before winning 6-5 on penalties.

Lee O’Brien scored both of Avro’s goals, with Joe Shelmerdine also netting twice for Hearts.

Wythenshawe Amateurs progressed to the semi-final, winning 3-1 at Heyside, with goals David Wright, Joel Aitkenhead and Rico Colou settling the matter.

AFC Monton also went through, but ninety minutes could not separate them from Bolton County as the side drew 1-1, Rob Cooke got Monton’s goal before they eventually went through 4-3 on penalties.

Avro Res finished off their Group B quota with a 3-2 win at Rochdale Sacred Heart Res to seal qualification. RSH remain the only team to catch them with them having two games remaining. Hindsford Res currently occupy second place and await other results to determine their fate.

There was a shock at Wright Robinson as Division Five side Chadderton EDS progressed to the last four after coming from behind to beat fourth division side East Manchester Academy.

Jamie Cross scored and assisted a goal to put East 2-0 up before Chaddy put on a spirited display to bounce back to go through. Bradley Kay scored twice, Hasan Ali, Matt Wilkinson and James Dwyer got the rest.

A mention to East Manchester’s Jamie Cross who was taken to hospital during the game to find he suffered a ruptured kidney as a result of a collision.

Joining Chaddy in the semi finals are Leigh Athletic Res who brushed Old Alts Res aside with a 3-0 victory thanks to goals from Ben Canny, James Dooley and Gregg Travers.

Stockport Georgians Res bowed out of the competition after receiving a 6-2 thumping at AFC Macclesfield in Round Three.

Where next?

Results Round-Up - 10.02.18 We take a look at yet another wet weekend and weather-hit fixture list.
125th Anniversary Dinner 2018 is our 125th year. Join us to celebrate it!

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.