Results Round-Up | 17.11.18

By Simon Harrison

We take a look at the results across the MFL from Saturday 17th November.

Premier Division
Hindsford maintain their place at the summit of the Premier Division after they got back to winning ways at Squires Lane. They romped to a 4-1 victory over struggling Dukinfield Town as they drop to the foot of the table.

They are joined on 32 points at the top by Rochdale Sacred Heart who picked up a huge three points over fellow title challengers Royton Town who slip to third. A brace from Joe Jacombs wasn’t enough for Town as goals from Josh Wooler, Jack Holt and Curtis Williams earned the points for the visitors at the Oldham Academy North.

A resurgent Beechfield United registered back-to-back wins to move off the bottom to give their survival chances a huge boost. They won 5-2 at fellow strugglers Chadderton Res to overtake them and move up and out of the relegation zone.

After successive league defeats, Manchester Central ended that run with a hard-fought 1-0 win away to Springhead. Marcelo Arhin’s 38th minute goal proved to be the winner at St Johns Street but the visitors had to dig in to fend off waves of Springhead attacks.

Stockport Georgians made it 3 straight league wins with the latest coming against Old Alts at Cromley Road. Both the visitors’ goals came from the spot courtesy of Dave Drinkwater and Joe Halfpenny but Paul Beresford was also on target from the spot for Georgians and was joined on the score sheet by Sam John (2) and Oliver Hemlin to complete a 4-2 victory.

Bolton County got their first league win since the beginning of October after they overcome Walshaw Sports at Radcliffe Road. Tom Axon-Smith the scorer of the only goal to send his side up a place to ninth.

Division One
Heywood St James regained top spot in comfortable fashion after they ran out 8-0 winners at home to Leigh Athletic who ended the game with 10 men. Charlie Minshull notched a hat-trick, Lamar Harrison a brace and Martin Cosgrove, Jackson King and Adam Howe getting the rest.

Pennington slip down to second place following their 3-2 defeat at home to Elton Vale as all goals come in the second half. Daniel Gunning and Heath Ainscough register for the hosts but Sheldon Barrington, Jon Stephenson and Shaun Carey got Vale’s goals to put them within six points of the top.

Altrincham Hale stay in fourth despite a 3-2 win over Tintwistle Athletic at Blessed Thomas Halford School thanks to goals from Liam Paterson, Sam Acton and Bobbi Yari while Josh Stevenson registered both goals for Tinny.

Uppermill secured all the points in a high-scoring game at Radcliffe Juniors with 11 being scored in total. The visitors won 7-4 with Sam Bagshaw (2), Jack Churchill, Tom Gallagher, Tom Simpson, Ross Stanley and Tommy Bunn all scoring.

Govan Athletic came out on top in their relegation battle with Atherton LR Res after they won 3-2 at Platt Lane. It was a tight affair with it being 2-2 at half time but Jordan Hartley, Haydn Fraser and Oliver Wright were all on target for Govan to give them all the points.

Division Two
With league leaders Irlam Steel not in action, Hindsford Res had the chance to go level on points with them but they couldn’t take advantage as they lost out to Hollinwood in an eleven-goal thriller at Wright Robinson. Hollinwood caused an upset with a 6-5 win to steer them clear of the bottom two.

Middleton Colts moved up to second place to within two points of the leaders, and have a game in hand, following their 9-0 win at Breightmet United. Jonny Munson (3), Arron Nuttall (3), Ryan Hall and Steve Cass with the goals in their emphatic victory over the league strugglers.

Rochdale Sacred Heart Res lost ground on the chasing pack too as they fell to a 3-2 defeat at Moorside Rangers, Harry Royds getting Hearts’ goals.

Astley & Tyldesley registered a huge 3 points in their game with Hindley Juniors, picking up a 5-1 win at Gin Pit Village while Walshaw Sports Res also got a big win under their belt as they beat Atherton Town Res 3-2 at Sycamore Road, Ben Hyde getting Town’s goals.

Division Three
League leaders Dukinfield Town Res’s points tally remains the same after they suffered a 4-2 defeat at home to Chadderton EDS.

Their lead at the top was cut by just one point because second-placed Uppermill Res could only manage a 1-1 draw with Springhead Res. Kieran Hilton’s goal for the hosts was cancelled out by Jack Beasley for ‘Head.

Division Four
Royton Town Res extended their lead at the top of the table with a 3-1 win over Dukinfield Town A. Jack Barnes, Joseph Gidley and Jack Sloan all scored for Town to give them an eight-point lead at the summit.

Heywood St James Res drop to third place following a heavy 5-1 defeat at Heyside Res, a result that moves the hosts up to ninth place.

Atherton Town A picked up a narrow 3-2 win at home to Moorside Rangers Res, moving them up to fourth spot. Bobby Graham’s double was added to by Sean Taylor for Town while Jason Wood and Paul Parker found the net for Rangers.

Matthew Whittaker and Dave Cox both scored second half goals for Boothstown Res as they won 2-0 at home to Govan Athletic Res. The win lifts them up to sixth place while Govan remain in twelfth.

Tintwistle Athletic Res bounced back from a heavy defeat last time out with a 4-0 win over Astley & Tyldesley Res thanks to Aiden Woolleson, Sam Swann, Jack Juby and Jonny Wadsworth goals.

Open Trophy
Elton Vale Res progress through to the first-round proper following their 7-2 win at home to Bolton Lads & Girls Club Res. Two goals apiece from Declan Guy, Peter Hickford and Ellis Ramlaul plus Ole Unsworth’s strike earned their side a place in the hat for the next round.

Altrincham District Cup
Wythenshawe Amateurs Res progressed through to the next round after needing penalties to get past Knutsford. It ended 2-2 after 90 minutes and the MFL side won 6-5 on penalties.

Stockport Senior Cup
Stockport Georgians Res bow out at Round Two after they lost 4-2 at Poynton.

Manchester Challenge Trophy
East Manchester needed a penalty shootout to edge past fellow MFL side Heyside in the Manchester Challenge Trophy Semi Final after the game finished 2-2 in 90 minutes. After a goalless first half, Brad McLaughlin gave East the lead only for Jordan Schofield to level things up shortly after and then Josh Briddon had put the visitors into a 2-1 lead. Brad McLaughlin scored his second of the afternoon minutes from the end to send it to penalties where East eventually progress, winning 3-2 to put them in the final for the third consecutive season.

Where next?

Results Round-Up | 24.11.18 We take a look at the results in and around the Manchester Football League on the final weekend of November.
Presidents Page - November League President John Hyde has his latest say as we head towards the back end of 2018.

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.