Results Round-Up - 21.04.18

By Simon Harrison

We take a look at the weekend's results in and around the Manchester Football League...

The League’s congratulations go to Avro who were crowned Manchester League Champions after a 5-2 win at Old Altrinchamians. Duncan Knott, Mike Stockdale, an own goal, Vincent Howell and Sam Rathbone got their goals to clinch them the title, with the home side responding through a Dave Drinkwater brace.

A brace for Dan Walker was the foundation of a fine 3-1 away win for East Manchester at Rochdale Sacred Heart. Sam Jones got their third goal that sees them strengthen their top three position with Anthony Foster replying for the home side.

Springhead were also winners on the road thanks to a Nathan Eastmond strike which proved to be enough to collect all three points from their visit to Walshaw Sports.

Bolton County and Heyside shared four goals as both teams looked to shore up top half finishes. County have been on a roll recently and were happy for Tom Helsby’s last-gasp equaliser which earned them a point, adding to Alex Todd’s earlier strike.

Goals from Dan Parkinson and Daniel Lockwood earned Dukinfield Town a valuable home win against Hindsford, stretching their unbeaten league run to six games.

A last-minute winner from Dave Brocklehurst earned his side all three points as Stockport Georgians beat AFC Monton 2-1 at New Alder Park. The ex-manager’s goal added to Tyrone Broad’s earlier goal while Adam Lucas netted for the Ammies.

Leaders Beechfield United slipped to a rare defeat, losing 2-0 at second-placed Manchester Central, a Cory Knight penalty and a Kaine Martin strike doing the necessaries for the home side.

Leigh Athletic kept alive their hopes of a top-three finish with a vital 4-3 win over Elton Vale, whose own chances were set back by this loss. Danny Eaton, Tom Sims, Elliot Patrick and Josh Brennan were on target for the Latics, Mark Severs bagging twice for Vale along with Jamie Treanor.

Matt Jackson and Hensley Mills were the scorers in a 2-1 home win for Atherton Town over Wilmslow Albion, Town can now finish no higher than fourth if they win their remaining fixtures.

Boothstown completed the Division One action with a 2-1 win at Westbury Sports Club.

Leaders Altrincham Hale suffered a surprise defeat at Uppermill, Tom Simpson the home side’s hero as he claimed a hat-trick in their 3-1 win, Chris Sissling scoring for Hale. If Altrincham Hale win their final league game at Radcliffe Juniors, they will be crowned champions.

Tintwistle Athletic kept alive their promotion hopes with a convincing 4-1 victory at Breightmet United.

Govan Athletic made it nineteen goals scored in two games as they vanquished Hindley Juniors 8-0, Adil Ajmal netted five and Nathan Hind three in a runaway win.

The promotion hopes of Radcliffe Juniors suffered a setback as they slipped to a 4-1 defeat at Atherton LR Development. Gedeao Varela getting two goals and Obua Mugalula and Stuart Kay one each.

Connor Gibson’s superb free kick helped Wythenshawe Amateurs Res claim a 1-0 win in what was a tight affair against second-placed Avro Res at a packed-out Hollyhedge Park. The 100+ crowd saw the Ammies remain on track for a top two finish with Avro now completing their season quota.

Manchester Gregorians Res moved up to third with an emphatic 5-0 win against Walshaw Sports Res. The result leaves it tight from third down to seventh with just five points separating the teams.

Another team who picked up maximum points on the road are Dukinfield Town Res who were 4-1 winners over struggling Springhead Res. Peter Susca scored twice in addition to Jack Saw and Adam Davies goals for Town while Nathan Dawson got the hosts’ consolation.

Wilmslow Albion Res picked up a crucial three points from their game with Atherton Town Res as they edged a seven-goal thriller at Oakwood Farm. Josh Plant’s brace, Allen Quinny and Stefan Steadman scored to move their side a step closer to survival, while the defeat puts a dint in Town’s hopes for a top three finish.

Bottom team Stockport Georgians Res picked up a point at home to Hindsford Res thanks to Matthew Moran’s goal. Calam Williamson scored for the visitors to ensure the teams shared the spoils at Cromley Road.

League leaders East Manchester Academy fell to a shock 6-3 defeat against Hollinwood Res to leave the title wide open. Danny Williams scored twice and Alex Maude gave East a 3-0 lead before the hosts battled back to eventually romp to the three points.

The defeat left the door open for Elton Vale Res to take advantage in their home game against Pennington Res. However, Vale suffered a heavy defeat themselves, going down 5-0 as the visitors made it three wins in a row thanks to four goals from Declan Daly and Maxwell Doyley with the other.

Chadderton EDS extended their winning streak to 12 games after they registered a 3-1 success at Bridgewater Park. Alireza Farhadi and a Daniel Miller brace meant Chaddy stay top of the pile. Liam Dunn was on the scoresheet for Boothstown Res who remain in third with two games left.

Uppermill Res kept the pressure on at the top with their own 2-0 win at Govan Athletic Res who can’t finish higher than ninth. Joe Ireland and Sam Royle scored for the visitors to remain three points off the pace.

Tintwistle Athletic Res lifted themselves up to seventh with a 4-0 win at home to Breightmet United Res with the chance to move into the top half should they win their two and four games in hand over the teams above them.

Heywood St James Res and Atherton Town A shared six goals and the spoils in their game at the Phoenix Ground. Jackson King scored twice to add to substitute Kabwende Katembe’s goal to earn the hosts a point.

Where next?

Midweek Round-Up 26.04.18 We take a look at the action from this midweek in the Manchester Football League...
Midweek Round-Up - 19.04.18 We take a look at the results across the midweek games.

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.