Results Round-Up - 23.02.19

By Simon Harrison

We cover off the results from Saturday 23rd February with a plethora of league fixtures in addition to a number of cup ties as we reach the latter rounds.

Premier Division
Hindsford stretched their lead at the summit to 6 points after they came away from Cromley Road with a 2-0 win. The victory strengthens the Tonics’ title hopes who now have just 3 games left to play.

Also winning away from home and keeping a clean sheet were Bolton County who travelled to Broadway where they faced a relegation-threatened Chadderton Res. County bounced back from a heavy defeat last time out with a big victory this time around as they ran out 4-0 winners to ease their own worries.

The day’s only other league fixture saw two in-form sides clash at Sycamore Road as Walshaw Sports hosted Dukinfield Town. Shaw were 4-1 winners in their last home game but suffered a 3-1 defeat on Saturday as Duki elevate themselves to 8th with the win. Liam McDowell and a Mitch Andrew brace for Duki who are now unbeaten in their last 4 outings.

Division One
Altrincham Hale comfortably saw off Wilmslow Albion in their penultimate game as they ran out 8-0 winners and maintained their four-point lead at the top.

Heywood St James remain in second spot while still having 6 games in hand over the leaders but their 4-2 win at Atherton Town now puts them 3 points clear of third-placed Pennington who were held to a 1-1 draw at home to bottom side Govan Athletic. It’s not the worst result for the Jubilee Park men as they too have 6 games in hand on the leaders and are 7 points behind.

Boothstown enjoyed the afternoon after they leapfrog Uppermill thanks to an 8-0 win against them at Bridgewater Park. The result makes it 3 straight wins in all competitions while Uppermill suffer consecutive league defeats for the first time this season.

Tintwistle Athletic move up a place to eighth following their 3-0 win at home to Bolton Lads & Girls to leave BLGC just one point above bottom place and have a marginally better goal difference. With one relegation place and 3 teams in the running, it looks to be a close race and could go down to the very last game.

Division Two
Wythenshawe Amateurs Res enjoyed a good day on the road as they ran out 6-0 winners against Hollinwood. Seun Owoseni netted a brace with Daniel Bell, Landon Clarke and Luke Hibbert getting the others at Wright Robinson to move the Ammies up to seventh.

It was a stalemate in the day’s other Division Two game where 10th place Astley & Tyldesley hosted 9th place Atherton Town and ended 1-1 which favoured neither team.

Division Three
With the top 4 not in action on Saturday, Rochdale Sacred Heart A missed out on the chance of closing the gap after they were held to a 3-3 draw on their visit to East Manchester Academy. The result denies East the opportunity to also move up the table but remain in 8th place.

Springhead Res consolidate their place in 6th with a comfortable 7-1 home win against bottom side Wilmslow Albion Res, heaping more misery on them as they remain 9 points from safety. Robert Berry’s double helped the hosts along with further strikes from Francis Byrne, Ryan Fagan, Leighton Stephenson, Sheldon Casey-Clarke and Chris Crothers to compound the result.

Stockport Georgians Res collected just their third victory of the season to shine a bit of light on their survival chances as they picked up a plucky 2-1 win away to Bolton County Res. The victory moves Georgians to within 3 points of safety, sitting a place below Old Alts Res and have 2 games in hand over them.

Division Four
Royton Town Res were dislodged from the top of the table after Heyside replaced them following their epic nine-goal thriller with Atherton Town A. The new league leaders eventually edged it 5-4 and put themselves in a great position for promotion and title challenge with 8 games to go.

Heywood St James Res are just 1 point back, having played level games, after they enjoyed a 5-0 victory at home to Altrincham Hale Res.

Moorside Ranger Res’ 5-3 win at home to Manchester Central Res moves them up two places to 6th and give themselves an outside chance of a promotion challenge, being 10 points behind 2nd place with 8 games remaining.

Tintwistle Athletic Res suffered their first league defeat since the first game in January as they went down 2-1 at home to Dukinfield Town A. Tinny drop to 5th spot as a result while Town move up 2 places to 8th.

Boothstown Res took full advantage of Tintwistle’s defeat as they overtake them with a 3-1 win over Govan Athletic Res. Nick Jordan had given Govan the lead but the visitors came back to take all 3 points, bouncing back from consecutive defeats.

Gilgryst Cup
The remaining 3 Quarter Final ties were played on Saturday to determine who would meet Rochdale Sacred Heart in the last four.

All three ties were decided by a one-goal margin and the game between Beechfield United and Manchester Gregorians looked to be a thriller. Nine goals were scored at Salford Sports Village with the hosts edging it 5-4 to progress through.

The other two ties were a little tighter as only one goal was scored in each. Ashley Ainsworth’s 75th minute strike was enough to earn Royton Town a 1-0 win at home to Old Alts at The Oldham Academy North but it took an even later goal to decide the game at The Manchester College. Dan Burns scored in the 93rd minute to put Manchester Central through to the Semi Finals as they defeated Heyside 1-0.

Murray Trophy
Division Two leaders Middleton Colts hosted Division One side Elton Vale in this Second Round tie which promised to produce a thrilling spectacle which it didn’t disappoint. A brace from Jamie Diamond for Colts wasn’t to be enough as Dylan McMahon, Adam Plimley and Jon Stephenson all scored a goal each for the visitors to seal a place in the last eight.

Avro Res booked a Quarter Final place after they brushed aside Rochdale Sacred Heart Res at the Vestacare Stadium, winning 7-1. Two goals apiece from Liam Bennion and Brad Coe was added to by goals from Max Davidson, Chris Howells and Calum Jackson for the hosts.

Open Trophy
Elton Vale Res kept their hopes of a league and cup double alive as they booked their place in the Quarter Final with a resounding 5-1 win at home to Old Alts Res. Peter Hickford led the line superbly, scoring a hat-trick and was supported by a Sheldon Barrington brace to seal a last-eight place.

Manchester Amateur Cup
It’s heartbreak for MFL side Moorside Rangers who bow out in the Semi Final, losing to Failsworth Dynamos on penalties. The tie finished 1-1 after 90 minutes with Peter O’Shea getting Moorside’s goal but the hosts eventually progressed to the final where they will meet Parrswood Celtic at Ewen Fields.

Where next?

Results Round-Up | 02.03.19 We take a look at the results across the Manchester Football League as we march into a new month.
Results Round-Up - 16.02.19 We take a look at the results across the Manchester Football League as we reach the middle of February.

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.