Results Round-Up

10 months ago By Simon Harrison

Here is a summary of the games played in the Manchester Football League and the cup competitions, both internal and for the respective counties.


Leaders Avro, still boasting a 100% return from their league fixtures at kick-off, made it seven out of seven with a convincing 5-1 home victory over Bolton County at the Vestacare Stadium. James Hampson netting twice with Chris Howell, James Wolden and Mason Dunkley once each, with Kieran Hennessey keeping County in it with a goal to make it 2-1 at one stage.

Wythenshawe Amateurs edged above visitors Heyside into second place with a 2-1 win, but Heyside scored first early in the first half before a second half Dave Wright brace clawed the Ammies in front and onto three points.

East Manchester's unbeaten start was maintained with a fine 5-2 victory at Wright Robinson. Brad Byrne led the way with a hat-trick and Liam Turner and Dan Walker adding the other goals, but not before visitors Royton Town had made them graft for the three points, it was 1-1 at half-time, James Done and Carl Taylor keeping Town in touch with goals either side of the break.

A strike from Leighton Stephenson was enough to bag a 1-0 win for Springhead over Walshaw Sports at St John Street, and also took the Oldham side above their visitors into seventh spot.


There was a shock at the top of the table where Beechfield United surprisingly lost 3-2 at home to Chadderton Reserves, James Sinnott opened his account for the season for Beechy while Tommy Burn, Niall Barnes and Graeme Preston were on target for Chaddy.

Boothstown became the first club to lower the colours of Atherton Town in Division One as they ran out 2-0 winners at Howe Bridge, the visitors moving into a mid-table position.


Royton Town Reserves maintained their unbeaten start as they romped to an 8-0 win at home to Atherton Town Reserves to move up to second place.

Top spot is taken by Rochdale Sacred Heart Reserves as they made it three wins from three following a 5-2 success at home to Wythenshawe Amateurs Reserves. Luke Hibbert and Rhys Jones finding the net for the visitors as the Ammies fall to their first defeat of the campaign.

Wilmslow Albion Reserves picked up an impressive victory at home to Avro Reserves who had previously been flawless.


Despite it being the only game in the division on Saturday, Hollinwood Reserves and AFC Monton Reserves served up ten goals in a cracker at Chapel Road.

Division Five

Heywood St James Reserves were the top scorers in Division Five on Saturday as they put six past Govan Athletic Reserves without reply to cement their place at the top of the table.

In the day's other game, Chadderton EDS picked up a valuable win at home to Atherton Town Academy. Jack Ward, Adam Sweeney and Arnold Tarumbira were on the scoresheet for Chaddy in their first win of the season.


There was a high-scoring tie at New Alder Park in the Gilgryst Cup, Adam Lucas and Garry Prescott added to a brace of goals apiece from Lloyd Camilleri and Ryan McDonagh to push AFC Monton past a determined Old Altrinchamians side 6-1, Paul Hayes claiming Alts' consolation.


Irlam Steel turned the form book upside down at home to Division One pace-setters Chapel Town, notching a 6-3 victory in the Murray Trophy. Ben Ravenscroft and Mark Jones bagged two goals each to add to efforts from Scott Mills and Nathan Merrishaw. Town's Josh Wood and Tyson Elwin adding to an own goal.

An Elvis Amoakwa goal for Manchester Central won this tie 2-1 for his team and left Uppermill all shook-up as the visitors saw a 1-0 lead, given them by an Amoakwa own goal, cancelled out by Kaine Martin on the hour mark.

Bolton Lads and Girls Club welcomed an on-form Hollinwood for their first ever visit and will be delighted with a 3-1 home win as they look to progress to the knock-out stage.

Division Two leaders Tintwistle Athletic had goals from Josh Stevenson and Sam Swann to thank for a notable group win over Breightmet United.

Another all-Division Two tie saw Altrincham Hale triumph 3-1 at a struggling Pennington, who scored through Matt Chadwick, Alty having to thank a Stan Slawinski brace and a Matt Collins goal for victory.


In Group B. Hindsford Reserves picked up a narrow 2-1 win at home to Dukinfield Town Reserves at Squires Lane, with Sam Owens getting Town's goal.

There were seven goals scored at Sycamore Road as Walshaw Sports Reserves hosted Springhead Reserves. Braces each from Mahmoud Haroun and Darren Pownall secured the win for Head in Group A.


In Group A, East Manchester Academy got off to a flying start with a 7-1 at Altrincham Hale Reserves. Danny Williams netted four times, added to by a Liam Woolley brace and Arron Lilley.

Uppermill Reserves edged out Pennington Reserves in a five-goal thriller at Churchill Playing Fields. Jake Cauldwell was on the double to add to a Matthew Barlow goal with a Luke Davies brace for Pennington.

Rochdale Sacred Heart A ran out 3-0 winners at Moss Park against Breightmet United Reserves in the only game from Group B.

Group C saw Old Alts Reserves host Bolton Lads and Girls Club Reserves who picked up a 3-1 win at Crossford Bridge. An Alex Champion double and a David Turner goal gave the hosts the three points.

Tintwistle Athletic Reserves picked up a decent 2-0 win at Bolton County Reserves in Group D. Tom George and James Wilson were in target to give their side the win.


There was an all-Manchester League tie at The Barracks where Westbury Sports Club hosted reigning champions Rochdale Sacred Heart but there were to be no shocks as the visitors ended comfortable 5-1 winners. Tom Bradburn kept up his fine vein of form with two goals, with Hearts' Ryan Alessandro, Andy Foster and Johnny Thompson adding the rest.

Haslingden St Marys nicked a close game, reversed to Belle Vue, by the only goal in a 1-0 win over Manchester Gregorians.

Elton Vale also fell at the first hurdle as West Lancashire League side Longridge Town hit form to record a 5-0 victory.

It took ninety minutes and a penalty shoot-out, but Leigh Athletic progressed thanks to edging spot kicks 4-2 over Turton, the sides having been locked at 3-3 at the end of normal time, Leigh's goals coming from Keeran Parker, Joshua Brennan and Thomas Sims.


Wilmslow Albion's hopes of a decent run in the Cheshire Amateur Cup ended as they were on the wrong side of a seven-goal encounter at Park Road, where Cheadle Town Reserves won out.

It was a similar story for Govan Athletic who fell to a 4-1 defeat at Unicorn Athletic, only a late goal giving the visitors any cheer.

Stockport Georgians progressed as visitors Ellesmere Port could not raise a team.

Similarly, Dukinfield Town moved into Round Two without kicking a ball as they received a walkover against Barnton Reserves.


With Radcliffe Juniors called off, only Atherton LR Development were in action, but they fell to a 5-0 defeat to Winstanley St Aidans.


There were three MFL sides in Manchester Amateur Cup action with two going through to the next round.

Manchester Greogrians Reserves picked up a 4-2 home win over Unicorn Athletic Reserves. Boothstown also advanced to the next round thanks to a 3-2 win over Chorltonians Reserves.

However, Heyside Reserves couldn't follow suit as they were emphatically beaten 10-4 in their game with Manchester Celtic.

Where next?

Results Round-Up - 23.09.17 Here is a brief round-up of Saturday's results.
Results Round-Up Here is review of what games were played on Saturday 9th September.

Manchester Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.